Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Quick Update

It's pretty sad that I've now got to start any blog post with "Yes, I'm alive" but when 6+ months go by, I guess it's to be expected. (Yes, I'm alive.)

Sewing has taken a back burner for a while. I've had limited sewing time and when I did manage to eek out something, I ended up with wadders. Very frustrating. And the "best" way to instantly kill the sewjo. I'm still dreaming/thinking about sewing and will get back to it, but I'm also having trouble finding inspirational fabric. In other words, I'm not seeing very much lately that is ME. I keep looking, but I keep deciding that what's in the cart isn't really doing it for me and just close the check-out window. I'm pretty sure it's not my sewing ennui that is creating my "problem." I'm just not loving what's available at the moment (this "moment has been going on for months!). And while I still have a substantial stash, even it is pretty depleted of favorites (what I want to sew/wear), so that's not much of a help either. Ahh. First-world problems. If you'd like to share any online fabric stores with great prints I may have missed, please feel free to enable me in the comments. :-)

So, if not sewing, what have I been doing? Well for starters, I've been working at my job during the weekdays. I've been here 3 years now . On weekends, I've been 50% of the "rehab crew" for Alex's real estate investment adventures. He's just finished fixing-up and renting out his third property. It's been a lot of fun to work with him and I'm beaming with pride at his success but I'm definitely too old and out of shape to do this more than part-time! A couple of months just on weekends kicks my butt.

Here are the Before/During/After pics of the kitchen we just completed.




Last month, my stepson Michael got married. Here he is below with his beautiful bride Hannah. (Do you see the peacock behind them?)


The goofball groomsmen brothers. For any of you long-time readers, can you believe Alex is my "baby" and he's already 25. The years just fly!


Tyler is still in the Marine Corps (a Sergeant now) … for about 4 more months. Then he will leave the Corps, marry his fiancée Angela (below) in October, and start new adventures. 


Overall, life is good. There just hasn't been much sewing going on and my intentions to check in are on that infamous road. Hopefully, I'll be revving up the machines soon. I need things!

27 comments:

  1. So great to hear from you! You have been missed. Love hearing about your family and what has been going on in your life. I do hope you get your sewing mojo back soon, you have always been an inspiration. Continue to keep us updated on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to hear from you! Great to hear about Alex, 25???? and Tyler I remember so well when he joined up, I hope you start sewing soon I might get my mojo back, you are inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been so busy! Congratulations on the successes of your sons. My baby just graduated from high school, and my third grandchild - a boy - is to arrive any time now; I have his sister for a couple of weeks while their mama delivers and recuperates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you're alive!! I check here often cause I miss you. Funny how time slips away when we're not sewing isn't it. Its good to see update on you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few things:
    (1) Can I cut and paste your first two paragraphs for my blog? =P
    (2) Tyler is getting married?! Alex is 25?? Man, I've been reading your blog for a while! I remember when Tyler first entered the Corps. Whoa!
    (3) Cali Fabrics has some interesting prints. Totally enabling you.
    (4) I'm glad you're alive. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad to hear that all is well with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you posted, Debbie! I've missed you! Can't believe how old your sons are. I remember you sewing halloween costumes. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You blog home is basically my internet "home page". :) Gosh time flies! Great to see a post from you. Three years at your "new" job? Wow! Go Alex! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First fabric stores:
    -LA Finch Fabrics
    -Stylish Fabrics
    -Stylemaker Fabrics
    -Michael Levine Fabrics
    And fabric.com has some amazing Telio fabrics which you should check out

    The house remodel is awesome and time is flying since you're baby is 25! Congrats on raising some amazing young men.

    The sewing will come when it's suppose to...thanks for checking in and letting us know how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you are doing well! But selfishly hoping you get back to seeing soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to see your post. Enjoy your life and sons. We'll be waiting. Maybe a MoG dress series?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Govto a sewing show. SewExpo is at the beginning of march in puyallup Washington. Anne Whaley (pattern whisperer) and Vacuuming The Lawn (Kyle) came last year. Definitely extreme enabling. Oh, and Gertie was there too. I met a ton of sewing bloggers. Lots of new ideas swarming at this show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you are doing well. The sons are so handsome. Maybe you've got the beginnings of a potential HGTV show with the renovations- mom and son cohosts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice to hear from you and glad that you are doing well. All good things have been happening :) for you and your family. Congratulations on raising such wonderful young men. You will sew when you sew! How about Michael Levine or Mood Fabrics.com...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back Debbie! Funny how life gets so hectic! I'm on the once a year blog posting schedule as well anymore. I'm a Fabricmart girl and I rarely find anything that doesn't inspire me...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to see a post from you, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to hear everything's fine. For a moment I feared you really meant the 'ready to give up sewing' from your most recent Instagram post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always nice to see a blog post from you! So much is going on in your life right now. Congrats to your stepson and new wife.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do through stages where I feel there is no fabric for me out there. Just gotta wait for that fashion wheel to keep on turning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great to hear from you again! You've been much missed. Hope the sewjo returns soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Debbie. Thanks for sharing about your "wadders" that kill your "sewjo." Your projects that are winners are so fantastic; I'm sure you learn something from every one of the few that end up trashed. I know I do (even though I'm NOT happy about it at the time!). The kitchen reno you did with your son looks amazing. That is so cool that you are doing that together! It's nice to hear from you again, glad you are doing well, and look forward to your next sewing post when the stars, patterns, and available fabrics all align for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad to know you are alive! Wow refurbishing homes! Great job with that kitchen. Hope you find some sewing mojo again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. There is a season.... After this "winter" of sewing dormancy, you will either awaken, revived and ready to produce. Or your creativity will find a new outlet. (You know which one I'm hoping for. 😉) It will work out!

    Question: how is your sewing space? Set up and ready to go? Or a tired, jumbled area, with boxes and stacks of stuff? Well lit, or dark? I find my sewjo withers in proportion to the readiness of my sewing space.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the update! Looks like life is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the update. :) I'm glad you're keeping busy, but I hope you get some downtime/rest soon! Do you have any fabric stores nearby that you can go to for inspiration? I find that I'm not at all interested in most fabrics until I see them in person. But then, I never got on the online fabric ordering bandwagon. I'm ridiculously curmudgeony when it comes to tech... :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.