Sunday, July 20, 2014

I Made the Dress, But I Didn't Make It Work


The dress is done, so there's that. But bad fabric cutting and extra fullness (mine and the dress') killed it. I will show it on me at some point but Sundays here are not the days I want to model for the camera. Trust me, you don't want that either.

So, before I come clean with the ugliness, let's explore some other points.

The morph of the two patterns (S2281 and S4122) worked out well and I may even revisit it in the future. After the pain has left my memory. The part I don't like isn't from the morph, but from S2281 alone, but more on that in a bit. I like the open, wide-yoked neckline much better than the original S2281 design. High necklines and me don't get along. I didn't want to lose the pleated raglan sleeves from S2281 but I also wasn't willing to put even more time into re/creating them for this morph. Maybe another time.

This is the inside view. I ditched the waistband "facing" cuz ... well ... fiddly poly fabric and unmotivation (Now a word. You're welcome.). I did interface it and with that, it's more than stable enough. The yoke is faced, and interfaced.



I edgestitched the yoke ...


... and the waistband, and all my seams lined up great so yay for an accurate morph.



Here's where it starts to get ugly ...


Good lord ... was I drunk when cutting that fabric? Let this illustrate how cutting single layer can be a project saver. And, more importantly, how not can be a project killer.

I admit I'm usually an eyeballer ... that is, I lay out my pattern pieces and align by eye and not by ruler. This is NOT because I don't know the importance of accurate grain. It's because I have excellent spatial skills. Not a brag ... it just is. (On the other hand, I can't carry a tune in a bucket.) And because of those spatial skills, most of the time I'm spot on. Except when I'm not. As you can see below. To be fair, this looks a lot worse in a still photo with the waistband hung up on some dressform phantom than it does in real life. But even then, she ain't purty. And I have no excuse except that I'm human and not everything that comes out of my sewing room is rainbows and unicorns. ;-)


And to add insult to crooked injury ... look at that first photo again (below for convenience) ... I inadvertently lined up the bodice and waistband pieces so perfectly that YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THE WAISTBAND. Hahahaha ... if you can't laugh, you'll scream. :-)


But even if I had perfectly cut fabric, I'd still hate the result. Because of the bustle butt. Yes, Bustle Butt. I'm trademarking that one. Why did I think I'd want (or need) gathers across my backside? Again I ask, was I drunk? If my front was as flat as Zillie's, it might even be passable. But my tummy is anything but flat and my actual side view in this dress is ...well ... let's just politely say thick and leave it at that.


About the only good thing with the result is ... remember that side invisible zipper I was dreading? Well, it turned out perfectly ...


... because I didn't need it! I sewed one sideseam for real and basted the other to see if I really needed a zip. And I didn't. Whew. Dodged that bullet.

IF I wear this dress for real, it will be with an overlayer to cover the Bustle Butt (tm). And that atrocious fabric cutting.

At least this Doomed Project From Hell is done and I can move on to something, ANYTHING, else. :-)

Have a great week!

19 comments:

  1. "not everything that comes out of my sewing room is rainbows and unicorns" Bwah ha ha ha! I was trying to figure out how I was feeling about the skirt I made today and I believe that sentiment nails it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's such a drag when a darn-nearly perfectly assembled garment is a wadder. I understand all the issues you've mentioned, because I've done them, too. Time to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing us Bustle Butt.
    I also liked your 'dodging the bullet' humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bustle Butt! That is pure awesome. Next project: go with a pair of potholders. Easy, fast and really, you can't goober 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the laugh and boy do I understand the "not everything that comes out of my sewing room is rainbow and unicorns". The next time I use "Bustle Butt" I will correctly attribute to you...and I'm sure the next piece will be gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Who needs those darn unicorns anyway??

    It's a very pretty dress...but it's just not to be. Can't wait to see the next garment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you don't want to go there, but I am wondering what this would look like with a wide obi style sash covering the waist inset, maybe in black knit? Long straight piece of fabric across the front crossed in back and tied in front. And my daughter and I are firm believers in the "big butts, it's the new big boobs" fashion theory. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you I have excellent spatial skills and while I do "eyeball" my pattern pieces into place, I still always measure. Ninety-nine percent of the time I'm spot on but I never chance it. Bummer it didn't work out but I'm sure you figure a way to make it fabulous anway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your projects with us...even the not so successful ones. I'm sure we can all learn something from this, even if it's only that we are all human and we all make mistakes. I'm sure you next project will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you power through and share the process. Sewing for real blogs are what I love to read. Gotta remember that bustle butt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this was a funny piece. You put a smile on my face :-)
    Sorry though to hear (and see) that it didn't work out to your liking. Maybe we need something like this to happen every now and then, to make us appreciate the rainbows and unicorns that DO come out of our sewing-room,more. Good luck with your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww shucks. Too bad the dress didn't work out. A nice cardi can cover the mismatch on the back. As for bustle butt, I gave up that fight a while ago. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw it certainly doesn't look so bad from here, but I can understand the "bustle butt" problem. For some reason, I'm drawn to gathers over the tummy, and then I just look pregnant... every... time. You think I'd learn. Oh well. Looking forward to your next attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Add a long, hanging piece from the bottom of the back yoke, a.k.a. a Watteau back. Let it hang down and trail gracefully behind you, covering your wonky pattern match and bustle butt -- and start a new fashion craze. Bonus: put some pockets on the underside and have a new version of the Shopping Vest ... just as weird, but easier to access the hidden pockets while you are wearing the garment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've already saved your "not everything that comes out of my sewing room is rainbows and unicorns" and will give you credit when I use it. Okay, about that bustle butt -- do you think it would actually *help* someone who has a flat bottom? Oh and I really appreciate your honesty. It seems like some people make only perfect garments, at least according to their blogs ;) -- and I am so far from that. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a bummer, although your review had me laughing! It kind of seems like this project was doomed from the start; time for a TNT/palette cleanser project.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have unmotivation in spades. Thank you for officially naming it. And BOOOO to Bustle Butt (tm). Now on to the rainbow and unicorns.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bought the same fabric at Joann's. It is the biggest pain in the ass to cut!!! The bird pattern is totally skewed about 6-8 inches in on both selvedge ends. Luckily I realized before I cut. Sorry your dress didn't work out. Maybe you can cut off the skirt portion, redistribute the "bustle butt" and add a black waistband.

    I love "not everything that comes out of my sewing room is rainbows and unicorns." I might make it into some fun word art and hang it up in the sewing room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. We all have wadders! But your grace and good humor in coping with a wadder are rare and inspiring! Here's hoping the next project is all rainbows and unicorns!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.