Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Scrappy Progress

I made my way into the sewing room tonight. I was "forced" because Alex needed a pair of his shorts repaired at the crotch, and since I already had black thread in the machine and the shorts are black, well, it just made sense. Then I decided that while I was already in there, I would stay for a little while and add the casing and elastic to the waist of the dress-in-progress.I was on a roll, so I continued on.

Guess what this is? Maybe you have one too? It's a pile of interfacing scraps too big to toss but too small for most applications. Except tonight ...


The fabric I'm using is a drapey knit. Which is good for the dress. Not so good for the self-fabric waist sash. So I called out to my miserly self and starting "piecing" the interfacing scraps onto the sash before it gets sewn up. For this, it really doesn't matter if the pieces are perfect (they aren't). It really only needs some extra body so the sash doesn't collapse on itself around my waist. It took a bit longer than just cutting one solid piece of the fusible, but slowing down to piece the scraps instead let me make a little dent in that pile I keep around.



The actual sewing of the sash will wait until the next session, but since it's only a couple of seams and a turn and press, that part will go fast.

Here's where the dress stands tonight. You can see the elastic tail hanging out the bottom. While I did made the casing and insert the elastic, I never said that I actually tried it on yet to size the elastic. ;-) It's looking less sack-like now that it has a waist.

8 comments:

  1. I just wanted to thank you for your continued inspiration. I went to my Sewing Guild retreat last weekend and came home with some finished garments that fit and patterns I can use to sew up some more of my stash of fabrics. I used a jacket pattern that you shared to make a vest, and I am fired up and ready to sew for myself again. I mentioned you in my blog post and shared pictures of my finished garments. Thanks so much for taking time to post your trials and errors and successes. Here is a link, I think, to my post. http://prettysimplestitches.blogspot.com/2013/11/sewing-guild-retreat-and-some-patterns.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for how to use up all those interfacing scraps. Must file that one in the memory bank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a small tote of those scraps as well. I go into them all the time for tiny pieces. NEVER throw out interfacing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting solution! I'm going to have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the look of that dress. The fabric is gorgeous. Great idea of use of the scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do this all the time! I hate wasting interfacing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh, I have pieced in places like under collars and the inside of facings. I have also used this wonderful interfacing to add stamina to fabric. Your dress looks perfect.
    I always learn so much from you, thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lot of interfacing patience. I love the print!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.