Sunday, March 25, 2012

Oh, the Irony KILLS Me


Yes, that's a neckband and tie on the top. Yes, I said I wasn't going to do it. No, it's not the exact pattern piece — it's actually wider. Yes, I said it would probably choke me and it might, but at least the cleavage will be covered. And it's really not that bad since the fabric is very soft and cool to the touch.

Just sticking a bow at the vee point wasn't going to work without a lot of futzing, and a flower was going to be too TOO, IYKWIM. So, maybe Trudy knew what she was doing. But I actually prefer the way I semi-attached the band/tie better than the instructions, which is a good thing since I didn't exactly have a choice of methods by this time. 


It's attached under the finished neckline with stitches that follow one line of the coverstitching, completely at the back and ending about 3" forward of the shoulder seam. Even I can't tell it's an afterthought and I know where to look.

And, oh yeah, I finished the skirt too. ;-) Easy-peasy sewing but I would still change some things. One, I should've cut the 14 and not the 16. Two, I would narrow the front wrap flap so it ends further away from the sideseam. As is, it's not really very noticeable that this is a wrap (albeit faux) skirt. Three, I would (and did) toss out the bias binding for elastic casing instructions and instead just serge elastic to the top edge, turn under, and top/coverstitch.With a 1-inch waist turndown and a 1-inch hem, the length turned out perfect for me as drafted and hits right at my knee.

I'm still going to curve in the sideseams of the top some more before I call this outfit done, but other than that I made absolutely no alterations of any kind to either piece. Nice. I'll finish the top as soon as I finish typing and will wear the new outfit tomorrow. I like it. It's different than my usual, and it's feminine and pretty darn comfortable too. But, do you think my co-workers notice that I'm really wearing a bunch of different brown skirts or do you think they think I just wear one a lot? It may be time to get off the brown skirts for a while.

I'll try to get a pic of me wearing the outfit tomorrow, but I can't promise I'll keep the camera in focus after Girls Night Out. Maybe I can sneak one in the Ladies room during the day but I already know it's going to be CRAZY tomorrow and remembering to take my cell phone into the restroom may not be top of mind. 

* * * * *

To answer two recent comments — No, I don't think he who shan't be named reads this blog, but even if he does, there's nothing untrue here. And no, he doesn't pay for much of the kids' expenses. It will be even less once he takes off for Virginia. He IS contributing toward household expenses until we go our separate ways, so that's something at least. But with it comes complaint and guilt trips, so I'm looking forward to that phase of my life being done.

A couple others have asked about my "diet." It's not a diet, it's just the way I eat now and forever. I eat hardly any carbs and that's it, the whole plan (although I did indulge in the birthday cakes at work on Friday since it IS my birthday month even though we're not mentioning that either. Less than 24 hours people! And yes, cakes plural.).

16 comments:

  1. I do like this outfit. The semi detached tie actually gives this top an edge to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, love the top and skirt. They look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cuuuute!
    Happy (early)Birthday!
    I'm an Aries as well. No Wonder!!!

    (I had to come back because I was looking for the pattern on Hot Pattern's website and couldn't find it. -Just wanted you to know I'm not stalking you. LOL!)
    Designdreamer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty print and lovely drape! Bet it looks good with your coloring. You'll show us tomorrow... or when you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would serge the elastic on too, so much less fuss! I like this top a lot and can't wait to see you in a pic!

    Enjoy your cake(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes the tie is perfect! Mostly your co-workers don't notice what you wear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had the experience of making the same pattern in 4 different colors, and nobody notices. When I point it out, they deny it even :-). On the other hand, a friend of mine paid a lot of attention to having very different looks for her black pants. Until she realized her coworkers believed she only had one pair. Well, not if they thought about it, because of the laundry problem, but they perceived all black pants as the same.

    That said, I'm sure if you made a pair of brown pants, they'd be perceived as slightly different than the brown skirt :-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice addition with the tie! And happy birthday in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like your outfit - although brown isn't my colour. I think I am the same birthday as you but Wednesday! So happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you...
    happy birthday dear Debbie...
    I'm younger than you!...
    It's been a long time since I could say that! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday Debbie ! I wish you a pleasant day. Have fun celebrating !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday month! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's a proponent of birthday month. Mine is this week as well. I hope you have a lovely day, week and month!

    I love the tie neck. They always look so nice with skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that tie! It really finishes the shirt. Don't you enjoy it when a "quick fix" improves the project?

    I have several friends who have gotten divorced due to their partner's laziness. I swear, it's an epidemic of slothful men!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the top looks better with the tie on it. Makes it look more professional, I think. It looks good with the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie, The top is beautiful. gorgeous outfit. And the tie really sets it off.

    I know the pattern is from Hot Patterns, but I can not find it on their website. What is the name or number?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.