Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Nothing Really New


I don't have anything new to show, but I did get a haircut after work today. This is what I wore to work and the salon. I decided to be "brave" and didn't wear a cardigan or jacket. This meant I had to suck in my stomach ALL DAY LONG. lol But that's good for the ab muscles, right?

I also wore my new pumps. I love new shoes that are comfortable all day, the first wearing. I wish these came in lots of colors because I'd be buying them too.

There hasn't been much happening in the sewing room yet. Last night I had to go grocery shopping. I had put it off from Sunday since it was raining here all day and I didn't feel like schlepping groceries to the car in the downpour.

Tonight was the haircut and then a late dinner. But I did make a very quick muslin of my cowl pattern and my pattern morph needed some adjustment. So glad I didn't just cut the good stuff the other night. But I'm going to throw the rest of my caution to the wind and cut the fabric tonight. Maybe I'll even get it sewn up. I'm not counting on it though, since I only have about 90 minutes before my internal batteries wind down.

I've been thinking about Carolyn's "Quickie" post off and on today, and it suddenly dawned on me that I *want* most of my projects to be quickies, not that it means they will be unflattering or badly finished. But when I thought about it, I realized that pretty much everything I wear is a basic piece and basics usually are quickies. Sure, sometimes I branch out and make a jacket, even lining some, or a Ren Faire costume, but that's not my usual M.O. Pattern alterations is what usually takes the longest time, which is why TNTs are so welcome — because then I have a "quickie" that I can sew over and over. And I'm OK with that. Except that my TNTs are dwindling.

If you want a little bright spot reading about someone who is new to sewing and still excited about the process, her new skills, and her continuing education, go read Stacie's anniversary post. It made me smile.

Parting Shot: I told Tyler to be creative with his pics and this is what I got today (C130 prop). It's really fun for me to see bits and pieces of his Marine Corps life. His first Marine Corps Ball is coming up in a month. I can't wait to see those pics in his dress blues with his new rank! His on/off GF Kelli is flying up to be his date, and I know he's looking forward to that. 

20 comments:

  1. Nice haircut! Cool Marine piccy!

    BTW, my next-door neighbor's son is in Marine reserves. I asked him if he minds that my DH says, "Oh, goody, a passenger!" - he told me an acronym I'd never heard before, but you probably have. Marine = My A$$ Rides In Navy Equipment. Too Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie:
    Glad that the shoes worked out. I'm similar in that I want my projects to be "quickie" as well. In fact mostly out of knit fabrics and sewn on my serger seems to suit me best right now. I have great plans to do more complex/complicated sewing but by the time I get home or find some spare time on a weekend, I want a TNT knit top pattern. Although I did use one to make myself a rocking dress...

    But you know, if it works, it works. We're sewing, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The belted look is my favorite, and that is a great picture of your son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Generally speaking, if I can't do it fast, I don't want to do it at all. A curse, I suppose. I seem to always be in a hurry with most things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fantastic in that! I've been following your posts for ages, mostly silently. Yours is actually the only sewing blog I read regularly, though I do often click through on some of the links on your page. You've been an inspiration sewing-wise for ages, and now with your weight loss and lifestyle changes as well. I found your originally on PR when I was looking for reviews from women more my size than most. I was always so impressed by your thorough reviews, so full of pertinent info, and your sheer determination! I have not sewed clothes for myself (or for anyone really) for years now, and hope to start again. Please send me some of that grit! I've also made big lifestyle changes, but not handled it as well as you, I think. Lost of fair amount of weight, but have been pretty stuck for months now. Sold my home in NY and moved far away, don't know anyone but my parents (and DH), my kids are far away... Of course yours is a sewing blog, so I am sure there are harder times for you that you don't feel inclined to share with the world. I'm not trying to put you on a pedestal. But you really are inspirational in many ways. I'll get off my soapbox now, just wanted to let you know. And btw, never mind what I or anyone else thinks - you wear your hems exactly where you are most comfortable! Whew...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The haircut really lit you up. It's amazing the difference just a little off can make. You look so professional too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep... looking good, girl. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not everything has to be new - an oldie but goodie is a fine substitute. And not much of an oldie in this case :-). Most likely you'll spend less time adjusting patterns now that you're becoming more 'standard', that'll be a help.

    You're very brave to wear new shoes all day. Even the ones who become favorites take some getting used to, imho. I'd definitely keep a spare pair in the car if I drove to work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look fantastic !
    I love your hair and the belted dress

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this dress, so much I took you idea and help from your pictures to change my own pattern. Just cut it out yesterday, thanks for the help. Your hair looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that pic of Tyler. Can't wait to see those dress pics.

    Hair looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great picture of Tyler.
    As for the shoes. when QVC had fashion day this week almost all the shoes looked like the wide strap heels and Mary Jane things in the Clark show so I guess you were ahead of your time with the wide shoe strap on yours that we all were protesting about. Whatever we say we won't wear often we wind up eating crow.Glad you love the new heels they are nice. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great!!! Sorry about the anonymous - but seems to be the only way this old computer will go........The Other Lydia........

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking good! Keep it up, the hard work is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Exciting dress. You look so adorable and feminine. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love the new haircut! And, you look mahvalous in the dress! I like quick projects too, although I usually have a more complicated project going in the background. When I get tired of complicated, I stop for a bit and sew something quick. A little break and I'm ready for complicated again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you look terrific in that outfit. Make more dresses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Debbie,

    Thanks for the link. I'm glad I could bring a smile to your face. I can't believe the great feedback I am getting for the post. I hope someday I will be as good as you!

    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  19. The dress looks really good with the belt, and of course the new shoes.

    I saw Carolyn's post, too, and I'm a quickie sewist as well. I just don't need tailored garments, and won't take too much time for something, unless it's special occasion (which, by definition, can't occur too often). TNT patterns are great to have, and I know you'll get a whole new collection of TNTs soon!

    Great picture of Tyler.

    ReplyDelete
  20. With my work schedule, I need quick projects. Of course, by the time I'm done tweaking them into MY project, they can take quite abit of my time available for sewing. I always have to make it 'better'.
    Your hem looks good today.
    (lol, hahahaha, snicker)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.