Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Just for Kicks

… and because I know that you're sick of seeing wallets …

This is me in August 2004 (nice tan, fluffy hair!):


And this is me 10 minutes ago (no tan, air-dry hair). IOW, seven years later. Weird camera angle — I have a peanut head. lol But I look taller in this pic than in the other, right?


I haven't been able to wear this skirt for *years* but I never tossed it because it's a favorite pattern (Burda 8623) and it was one of the very first things I ever coverstitched with my then-new coverstitch machine. You can't see very well in these photos, but there are seams running down the front and I used the CS machine to double-topstitch them, as well as the hem band.

I'm SO glad this fits again, especially since I haven't yet taken in my white denim skirt. Maybe I'll just punt on re-doing it again and make a new white denim skirt from this pattern. If I only had white denim.

The top I'm wearing in the 2nd, today-photo is the CJ wrap top I made a couple of years ago, and to which I had to add sideseam "gussets" to make it fit. It's now big enough that I can remove those (via serger, of course). When I get a round tuit. ;-) For now, I just wear it around the house. I should make another one of these too.

I think I've lost around 40 lbs now. Since I didn't get on a scale at the start, I don't really know. I'm still not eating any processed carbs at all, and my total daily food intake has gone way, way down overall. Most days, I actually have to remind myself to eat because I'm never hungry. That is a completely new experience for me. It must be what naturally skinny people feel like. I really need to force myself to work out more, though. I was again shocked by my arms last night - they're starting to look a little flabby. Not fat-flabby but total-lack-of-muscle-tone-flabby. I wish sewing was a workout. ;-) Note to self: STOP looking at arms at night.

Back to drawing my wallet pattern on the computer …

20 comments:

  1. Yes, you do look taller in the current picture! Could it partly be the camera angle? Anyway, you are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fabulous and (happy??).

    chloeE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! Wow 18kgs, congrats! Yes I had to look it up and convert because pounds mean nothing to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD FOR YOU :) I am a naturally thin person. I am GRATEFUL for my genetic material :) Yes, you are on your proper path...Eat WHEN HUNGRY..Humans shouldn't eat because they are upset or bored or tired. Food is FUEL :) I am a professional seamstress. I LOVE IT. I sew to make a living :) YOU sew ALOT more for yourself than I do for me :) Congratulations :) You look FANTASTIC :) BEST WISHES from Cheryl :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid, the street fair in our small town used to sell fluffy balls with googly eyes called "round tuits." You were supposed to buy one and give it to the person who always said, "I'll do it when I get around to it." I wonder if I can find one now? Haha.

    That skirt looks fab, but even better -- the top in the second picture hangs much nicer than the first one. I can definitely see the change in your shape!

    Of course, don't look at your arms at night. NEVER look at anything at night, that's my motto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love reclaiming clothes from the too-small pile! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great and congratulations on all your weight loss! I can very much relate. I have made good progress on flabby arms after weight loss by adding arm exercises to my regular walks. It may look a bit silly, but walking doesn't cost gym fees and I so love being outdoors. I have built up to about 7-8 miles 4-6 days a week. At this point I am not losing weight, but arms and shoulders and legs are better toned and my heart muscle is happy!!! I wish you well in all your endeavors. Thanks so much for your creative and wonderful blog-it's my favorite:).

    ReplyDelete
  8. you hero , I have lost alot of weight too. About 25kg . It really is about eating alot less. You are looking great and I think a new denim skirt would be a great reward . Dont make too many though or else you will have alot of clothes that are too big for you . I have that problem at the moment where I have some jeans that I made which are a bit droopy in the legs and bum . I cant take them in really as the excess is in the centre back leg . Its a great problem to have though!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will have to toss that skirt soon anyway because it is going to be too big! You are doing brilliantly, don't be too hard on your arms! I know what you mean about processed carbs, they are too easy to overeat and you soon feel "hungry" again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing so well!! Looking fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job, Debbie. I really like that Burda skirt,it is so cute. I have been enjoying all your wallet sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow! You have lost some serious weight! Congratulations on all the hard work and results! You are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're looking good. It's wonderful when you can reclaim a garment that you out grew!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Bette Midler said it best in First Wives Club: 'It's better than new. It's the first time it's fit me in years.'

    Way to go, you're looking great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes yes yes! You are looking fabulous!

    I lost quite a lot of weight a few years back and I reached a point (around 30-40 lbs lost probably) where I also felt like everything was loose and flabby. Don't worry about it. Skin is elastic, and it just takes a little longer to adjust to the lack of padding underneath. That's all. Walking or exercise and some time will help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your weight loss is amazing! Good for you, being able to eliminate processed carbs. (It's fortunate for me that I don't really like most carbs.) You are looking better every time we see a new picture!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, and enjoy that great feeling of liking what you see in the digital camera and mirror. The changes are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking good! It feels great to get healthier and fitter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking Fab!!!!
    Not to put a damper on things, BUT!!! Although I'm told I have "buff" arms, I ALSO have flabby arms on the underside!! Go figure! Not trying to discourage ANYTHING here, I'm amazed at your progress.
    NO weight loss has EVER been easy for me, and I especially "dislike" (J/K!!) Marjie for "not really liking most carbs.!!! -- I WISH!!
    Oh, and Belinda, I always feel the same way about kgs -- they mean nothing to me, and I wondered how many lbs 25 kgs were. Thanks for converting, and congrats to mem, evidently that's a LOT as well.
    Designdreamer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.