Friday, February 4, 2011

Ren Faire Costume - Ye Olde Sewing Continues

Tomorrow the paned slops should progress to the wearable stage. In case none of that made sense (and I don't blame you!), pane = the strips of fabric that hang over another visible layer (the slops) and breeches = the lining. All 3 layers attach to the same waistband and leg bands. Feel free to jump in with better information. Renaissance garb is still new to me. I've been calling the whole thing "breeches" because I think slops sounds weird.

Here's my progress so far. The panes have all been completed and attached top and bottom to the slops. What you see below is one half; the other half is slightly visible on the bottom of the pic. The slops are basically puffy no-sideseam shorts. The breeches/lining are not puffy, but still no-sideseam. They are also shorter than the slops so that when they are both sewn together, the slops layer puffs around the thighs and hangs over the leg band like the puffy hem skirts/dresses that are recently popular. There will be "stuffing" (bridal tulle) hand-tacked between the breeches and slops to help retain the puff. I really hope I don't forget that step and end up frog stitching.



Here you can sort of see that the panes hang free over the slops. It will be more apparent once everything is assembled.



The brocade is very ravelly and I think I'm going to thread the serger with black thread tomorrow and go around the edges of this layer before I put everything together. I know they didn't have sergers in the 1500s, but they didn't have sewing machines either. Too bad for them. ;-)

I did finally hear from the Ebay seller of the other fabric I'm waiting on. He apologized and promised that it's on the way via Priority Mail. I checked his feedback and he did have a couple of comments about slow shipping but nothing about missing items, so I'm going to stay optimistic. I've got plenty to keep me busy until it gets here, and I'm waiting on more trim to arrive too. Plus, I also need to squeeze in a men's shirt muslin in the next few days. (Hi Peter and Michael!)

10 comments:

  1. Debbie, I'm really enjoying watching this outfit come together. I love making costumes, but don't get the opportunity much any more. Thank you for blogging the process.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're doing a BEAUTIFUL job! can't wait to see them complete :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great. And here I thought I was the only one who stuffs his breeches. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job. Must agree with you on the brocade - ugh, what a bear. I made a brocade jacket last fall (without a serger...tho I used a tight zigzag stitch on edges). Thought I would lose my mind with the unraveling and how horribly it snags (warn the wearer). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is looking pretty amazing. Thanks for taking us long for the ride. I ma not sure this is something I'll ever sew :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, that's impressive!! I can't wait to see this, that fabric is so beautiful. I love fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. they are looking fantastic. if you decide the panes aren't stiff enough or are droopy, you can zig zag (or whipstitch by hand) floral wire to the edges, to make them stand out. i did that on a sleeve once for a costume for the taming of the shrew. worked great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ye olde sewing looks good! The vocabulary is challenging to me, but I enjoy reading about the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the brocade, all I can find here is Chinese brocade and I love how you've incorporated it with the black fabric and gold. Wouldn't that be fabulous as a skirt, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you are making this. I can enjoy it vicariously without all the work! The sloppy breeches are looking very 15th century stylish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.