Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ren Faire Costume - Sewing Begins

I've started on the breeches because my second fabric for the doublet STILL isn't here. I'm starting to get worried and may have to come up with a Plan B. I've still got time, so I'm not in panic mode yet.

There are over 30 pieces to cut for the breeches, and I'm happy to say that that's done. Most of it is straight line rectangles (panes, waist and leg bands), so it wasn't difficult cutting. The black is an unused cotton sateen sheet that I just happened to have in the linen closet. It is being used for the breeches underlayer and the reverse sides of the panes and bands. Free fabric is a good thing with an expensive project like this.



I block-fused one yard of the brocade with Palmer/Pletsch Light and then cut all my strips and the cod pieces. (Thanks, Linda F, for the info in your comment!)



I completed one pane just to see how it would turn out with the trim attached. I'll assembly-line sew and press the others.

Here's a close-up:



That's all I have today. I hope to be productive this evening and make some good progress on the breeches. It's easy sewing. The fiddly bit will be fitting the breeches onto the bands by either gathering or pleating. I haven't decided which yet.

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I can't wait to see this. Beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting! It sure as hell beats shirts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pane looks fabulous--fit for a king! The fabric is beautiful. I'm looking forward to the finished costume.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see this costume!
    The fabric and trim are gorgeous.

    Your son is so handsome. Congrats to PFC Cook!

    Mermie

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i am so jealous, i LOVE this kind of sewing.

    also, i looked at that warrior race link you had in the previous post, and guess what? it looks so crazy and so fun that i signed up for the one here in my neck of the woods. it's in mid-september. so now maybe i need to make a kilt. or some sort of warrior costume. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun you are going to be having!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, wow, this is awesome!
    Does one pronounce "breeches" the same as "britches"? We say britches a lot down here, and I've always wondered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fabric is beautiful! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.