Friday, November 5, 2010

Whew!

I expected to have a progress post this past Monday after a weekend of sewing my red denim jacket. As you know by now, that didn't happen. Instead, my employer went off and decided to merge with another company last week and I ended up working about 35 hours in lieu of sewing. But it's finally calming down a bit and so I started working on the jacket tonight.

Here's a refresher:



I've cut out all the denim pieces. Tomorrow, I'll cut out the lining. And then, fingers crossed, I'll be able to sew it up over the weekend. I swear, I'm not going to check my email lest work try to sneak into my plans. I already have something like 546 messages in my Inbox already. No lie.

During a work break over the weekend, I caved and ordered some RTW jeans which arrived today. I shouldn't have bothered. They are HUGE, and I can't believe I was actually contemplating altering them, for a minute. I also ordered some shoes and was sent the wrong size. So that order was a bust all around. Sigh. Everything will be packed up and returned tomorrow. I'm debating whether to go down 3 sizes in the jeans and try again. Yes, they are that big. Thank you vanity sizing. I ordered by measurements and not size number and they were still off that much. Pffft. Can you tell I'm PO'd? I don't have time for this!

Speaking of time, it's down to 18 days now until I see my son in South Carolina. I won't say the time has flown because it mostly hasn't. But it did start picking up once we were past the halfway point and I did finally stop crying at the drop of a hat. LOL

And here's something from the Really Odd Coincidences Department. My best friend from high school and I keep in touch via phone and email intermittently. We haven't actually seen each in person in a very long time due to distance and family obligations when our kids were younger. Well, we hooked up again after my son had left for boot camp. Turns out hers (a few years older than mine) was already there. It also turns out he had a few minor medical issues (broken hand, gall bladder) that kept him in the Medical Platoon for two extra months (as if 13 weeks isn't bad enough!). But the best part? It turns out he was released from Medical two days ago and picked up by my son's company. I don't know yet if they're in the same platoon. But even if not, it means they are graduating the SAME DAY and we'll be seeing each other in South Carolina. You can't make up a story like that!

Keep Delta Company in your thoughts November 15-17 as that's when they'll be doing "The Crucible," the hardest part of Marine basic training. They will get only 2-1/2 MREs (Meals, Ready to Eat) the whole time, at best 4 hours sleep a night, will have many planned obstacles to overcome, and will end up marching a total of about 48 miles with full packs on their backs. Once they complete that, they will have a private Eagle, Globe & Anchor ceremony with their Drill Instructors and will then officially be Marines. Family Day and Graduation will be the next week and because of the Thanksgiving holiday, the ceremony will be on a Wednesday instead of Friday and they'll get 2 extra days of leave, which thrills me to no end!

And one last thing: Mondo was ROBBED!!

16 comments:

  1. I so totally agree! Mondo was robbed. That was a joke.
    Any way have great visit with your boy and thank him for me for being a Marine and serving his country. You must be one proud momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mondo was definitely robbed!
    Enjoy your family time with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like mentally, physically and emotionally you have been very busy! Enjoy your time with your son. The material for the jean jackets looks fun. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Mondo was robbed!

    I hope you have a great time visiting your son...and reconnecting with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only was Mondo robbed but Andy too. Her stuff was awful. I can't believe they picked her. My daughter is getting married Nov 20th so we are counting down also. I'm about 1/2 done with her dress. Hope to make a lot of progress this weekend. Can't wait to see the denim jacket. I've got that pattern but haven't made it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even bother watching the last episode of PR because I was so sure he had it in the bag. After reading recaps and looking at collection photos I'm pretty sure the judges were smoking crack =/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mondo, totally robbed. I love the random story about your high school best friend! I'll keepy my fingers crossed for your son!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great that you'll get a double treat out of South Carolina! My reporters on the ground there say the temperatures are still nice (but not Florida temperatures). Looking forward to your jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although Mondo got on my very last nerve...he did deserve to win. Maybe the judges were paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't even like Gretchen or her collection. Yes, Mondo was robbed. Hope your having a great sewing weekend. I have 11/15-17 marked on my sewing calendar. I got exhausted just reading your post

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been thinking about you, and about your son and hoping he's making it through basics. The Marines are tough! But I'm sure he's well prepare and honestly, probably having the time of his life. My son would be (did you feel me shudder? yeah.)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. In case you don't know already, Bloglines is going to continue. Didn't know whether to put a comment under your post about it closing or here, but figured you might be more likely to notice it here. I'm relieved because I couldn't get on with anything else I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mondo was beaten up and robbed! And so was Michael C.
    What most people don't know is that TEN designers showed at Fashion Week as the show is still going on at that time and they can't let the public have any idea who the final 3 are. If you google Lincoln Park Project Runway, you will find photos of all the collections for the ten designers. The judges had already seen the entire collections when they chose the final 3, not just the three garments that they "supposedly" had to pick to be judged on for the final 3. It was all BULL***T!!! The designers were saying "but, I have more of this or that in my collection". Kors and Garcia had already SEEN the entire collection! Can you tell I'm pissed?

    So PR gave money to 10 designers to make a 10 garment collection to show. Most of them were really awful as most of the designers had long gone home.

    Wow.. just... Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  14. There must be something in the air. Talk about weird; we are currently sailing south in the Intracoastal Waterway and Marji from Fiber Arts Afloat passed right by us yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the Project Runway information....quite a revelation! I think Gretchen should not have won. Mondo was by far the best. In past shows the judges seemed to go for the more avant gard (SP) collections, that were sometimes ridiculous, but when Mondo does a more modern, artful collection, they go for the boring, artless collection of Gretchen. And call it forward, hip and NOW!??!?!??!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mondo was TOTALLY robbed! But, I think in the end it is he we will hear/see more from, not Wretchen!
    As I type this (catching up on blogs)I hope you are enjoying Thanksgiving and time with your son!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.