Monday, February 4, 2008

Super Bread for the Superbowl



First, I have to say Best Game Ev-ah! I'm not usually a Giants (or Patriots) fan, but we were all rooting for the G-Men last night and jumping up and hooting every time Brady was squashed down. And with as many times as Tommy Boy was hammered, it was almost aerobic exercise.

Ahem. OK, back to today's post.

I knew that once the pre-game stuff started I would be mostly planted in front of the tube. That meant I had to get the eats out of the way early in the day so the boys wouldn't be interrupting me watching Ryan Seacrest (Ryan Seacrest??) on the red carpet (red carpet??). Actually, it's Terry, Howie & Jimmy that I watch every Sunday during football season. I like the pregame shows almost as much as the games. What the heck was with a red carpet on Superbowl Sunday anyway?

The day's menu:

Late Lunch: Nachos and Terriyaki Wings (nachos from scratch, wings from freezer)
Very Late Dinner: Cowboy Chili with Cheese 'N Onion Bread

The Cowboy Chili you've seen before, here. The bread was absolutely delicious and perfect dipped into the Cowboy Chili. Yum. But don't plan to kiss anyone after eating it. ;-)

Cheese 'N Onion (Bread Machine) Bread

Makes a 2 lb. loaf

1-1/3 cups water
3 tbsp powdered milk
2 tbsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
4 cups white bread flour
2 tbsp dried onion flakes
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/4 tsp yeast

Place ingredients in the order listed into the bread pan and process on "Dough" setting.

Remove dough from pan and place in oiled bread baking dish/pan. Let rise for 45-60 minutes, until doubled in size.

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove, sprinkle a handful of shredded cheese over top and return to oven for another 20 minutes. Remove from baking dish and let cool on rack.


=============================

And this?



That's one of the burners on my cooktop, which since Friday is fully operational again. Yay!!

5 comments:

  1. Yea for your cooktop working again. Your bread receipes are going to make me wish for a bread machine again. They look so yummy! g

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last touchdown pass of Eli's had me out of my seat. ;) I am not a follower of either team, but I'm glad the Giants won, if for no other reason than to take Tom down a peg or two. He was getting a bit too arrogant - from what we saw in the media - for my taste. And I like both the Manning boys. I think more than anything, I just liked seeing the underdog win to blow all the commentators out of their seats. Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sorta wanted Peyton's little brother to win, but for some unknown reason my 8 year old has latched onto the Pats as his favorite team (we are not die hard sports fans here) and was bellowing that the Giants are fat idiots! Poor little guy went to bed almost in tears....

    Yeah for your cooktop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got your cooktop working again!

    It was a great 4th quarter wasn't it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make my cheese and onion bread fully in the machine (too lazy to take things out and let them rise again ;-) but I use real onion, just chopped. I haven't made it in a while as it's just sooo more-ish... but it's great with soup too (leek and potato for a start!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.