Tuesday, May 22, 2007

3 Dog Night



It's official. We're now a 3-dog family. Like that was any big surprise, right? ;-)

A visit to the vet this afternoon let us know she was not micro-chipped and is free from heartworms and intestinal worms, although they gave her a dose of dewormer for good measure. As far as they could tell without x-rays, she's also "free" from puppies so her round belly is hopefully just a puppy belly. She's now had her shots and is "legal." The vet estimated her to be between 6 months and 1 year old. She was so well-behaved and sweet at the vet's office, even when they were drawing blood and sticking things in places that didn't thrill her. We'll take her back next month to be spayed, after she's settled in here a little more.

We had been tossing around various names, some of which were suggested in the comments, but keeping it light until after the vet pronounced her healthy. The boys really wanted to stay with the Red Hot Chili Peppers theme they have going, but "Red Hot" or "Red" just didn't fit despite how much we wanted them to. I came up with "Dani" (after the RHCP song "Dani California") and we all liked it. So, Dani California is her full name but we'll call her Dani. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. We truly considered them all.

BTW, for those who weren't sure, Dani is the black/white pup on the left in the photo from the previous entry.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! All involved are winners!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that story had such a great ending!!! You are such great people for keeping her. Too bad you won't find out who dumped her... I'm sure that'd be a game of mailbox baseball your boys would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It just seems like it was meant to be - she has the nose stripe from one of her siblings and the black coloring from the other. They really look like they all belong in the same family. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so pleased knowing that Dani will be having happy doggy dreams now! In keeping with your Three Dog Night heading: "One is the loneliest number that there'll ever be"....but no more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a good family, and you in particular are such a good mama. A couple of weeks ago my husband and I watched a program about dogs and how they changed the world because of their affinity and service to the human family. Your family has changed the world for both Chili and Dani.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, Debbie. We have three too, but they are much smaller. Wish I'd seen your earlier post earlier. My daughter suggested Limon (pronounced lee mahn) and that made me laugh. But I like what you picked, of course. They all look like they belong together. Cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie, you and your family are just wonderful in so many ways.
    Dani has definitely "fallen on her feet" :)) Vonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, you and your family have such a big hearts. What a coup for your new lifetime companion. She is an adorable addition and incredibly, looks like Pepper's little sister. I hope she makes the graduation transition a little easier. (I missed a few days on your blog, entertaining friends from out of town--what great news!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what to say about the people who dumped Dani. I can't think of one, but I hope they had a reason for being so cruel. I do know what to say about the Cook family. There is a special place in heaven for you for giving Dani a new home. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cutie!!! Great name too. Do you have any idea what type of dog Dani might be?

    ReplyDelete
  11. A big congrats to you and your family with its new addition. Thank you for adopting her, she will make you very happy, no doubt. She makes a very cute family member. You know it is probably Karma. She needed a new caring home and she found one. Glad it happened so quickly too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cutie Dani is - I'd hoped you keep her (actually I knew you would). I'm a sucker for a homeless animal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwww. She's really cute. Rescue pets are the best and kudos to your DH for picking her up.

    Marilyn D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.