Tuesday, February 13, 2007

First Draft — 2-Seam Twist


Here it is, the first draft of my version of Linda's Adrienne Vittadini Allegra Twist Front Top (say that 10 times fast!). I have no idea if this will actually work since I did it all by eye, but it looks good in theory for now.

Apologies for the blurriness. Hopefully clicking on it for the full-size view will clear things up a bit. Later: It does. I just tried it. Whew!

Here's what I did:

1. I started with my TNT (tried-n-true) PMB (Pattern Master Boutique) darted top for knits.

2. Next, I drew the seamlines onto my front pattern piece, and transferred 1/2 of the dart to each seam. Sort of the way you'd transfer a dart out at a sideseam. This is the part I'm "iffy" on, because I just winged it. I'm hoping a knit with good recovery will compensate for anything I screwed up. ;-)

I adjusted seamlines as necessary so that adjoining seams would match in length; specifically, the two seams around the bust and the sideseam (to match the back piece).

3. Then I duplicated my pattern pieces and flipped them so I could "wing" the twisty section. The original handknit top twisty section looks to be one piece if you follow the chevroning of the cable stitches, so I went with that. I might be totally off here but I had to start somewhere.

4. Finally, I pulled in my TNT sleeve and back piece and decided to split the back into a peplum-y thing to match up with the front seaming. Obviously I still have peplums on my mind.

My final pattern pieces look like this:


I'm going to print it out, try it with an unloved knit, and see what I end up with. I'm not quite sewing again yet, but I'm getting close.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. You make it all sound so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for showing this, I just opened up my first dart and I didn't know where to start! I can't wait to see your version are you going to do it in blue also?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking like it will work wonderfully.
    Hmmm, want to whip up a pattern quick like that in my size? ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, debbie, can't wait to see you sew this up! it's very exciting to be able to take a garment apart (mentally) and draft a pattern for it. admire your skill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing, and your illustrations are so professional. I've been wondering what the pattern for this style would look like. I await your completed experiment.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, you always do such a great job with your PMB drafting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.