Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Hip, Hip, No Hooray

The jacket is inching toward wadder status. After sewing up the sideseams and topstitching all around the edges, the peplum is sticking out way too much when I have the jacket unbuttoned (or, rather, unpinned, since I haven't actually done buttons or buttonholes yet) and it looks like a tutu. Not what I need. Grrrr. I think the stiffness of the denim is part of the problem and I also think the full back lining is going to have to go. Catching it into the sideseams is adding to the sticky-out factor. I'm NOT looking forward to ripping out serged seams and topstitching so I'm just going to glare at it for a while.

Meanwhile, my cold is still hanging on and DS#2 has been home from school for the past two days with a fever and nausea.

We're not having fun here today. ;-)

7 comments:

  1. Ouch. I feel your pain & I would be glaring at it too. You just never really know till you try to make the thing up in the real fabric. Methinks we need workrooms with staffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh No! I'm really hoping this doesn't turn out to be a wadder - I really liked the fabric and your muslin looked so good.

    Put it in a good 'time out' and come back to it (maybe it will behave). LOL.

    Hope you and your son start to feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame after all your careful preparation. Perhaps you will come up with a solution after you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, do you have a coordinating colour that you can use for the peplum and maybe other smaller pieces? IF you use a lighter weight fabric for that part, you might be able to salvage it ...
    If not, at least the fabric was on sale, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so sorry.... but maybe you leave it to sit for a wee while...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer. Seriously.

    Hoping for a good solution and that both you and DS2 get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, definitely leave it for a day or two with warnings and threats. Then you will be pleasantly surprised when you pick it up next time that it will do as you say.
    Take heart, you aren't alone in this. I have just sewed up 2 pairs of pants and neither fit well. But although they are almost wadders, I finished them completely and hope one day I will fit into them to wear in the garden. They are both on the smaller side of tight!!! So now on to the next pants pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.