Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hello. My name is Debbie and I'm an internet shopaholic.

I really didn't plan all this shopping and I think I definitely need to remove myself from the computer tomorrow morning in case I'm tempted again, but, really, the budget can handle it so it's not a problem, right? Right?? OK, DH would probably prefer I shop for tile or carpet, but where's the fun in that?

So anyway, there I was at 7:30 a.m. just happily minding my own business, checking my email, and what should pop into the Inbox all quiet and innocent-like?? A sales announcement from Fashion Fabrics Club. Yes, I get these on a regular basis and usually I just delete them without further thought. I mean, have you seen my stash closet? But this one mentioned knits and velours at very reasonable prices and I was tempted and clicked the link. Oh no! It all looked so pretty.

Want to see what jumped into my cart?








The first one is a cotton/Lycra knit. (No, Belinda, you can't have it ... although something keeps telling me you already do.) The next three are rayon/Lycra knits. Next, are two slinkies (of the acetate variety) and finally 80% cotton/20% poly brown velour. Because the order is from FFC, notorious for slow-boat shipping, it won't be instant gratification but maybe I'll be done with my jacket by the time it does arrive.

Speaking of the jacket, the pattern has now undergone the initial adjustments, and the muslin is cut and nearly sewn. I'm going to finish putting it together (with at least one sleeve) after dinner, but I already see a bust point adjustment in its future. As much as I went on and on about the 17 pieces, it really hasn't been bad at all once they were traced. The pieces are fairly small which means cutting out is fast and easy. And because they are small, I was able to use up my bigger muslin pieces that I had re-wrapped around the bolt. Yes, I was saving muslin scraps ... but they were much too big to toss. See, I do truly save money sometimes! ;-)

12 comments:

  1. Excellent fabric choices - I look forward to seeing what you make out of them. Thank goodness, FFC doesn't deliver to Canada - I do not need another soure of "inspiration".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks for the enabling. I now have a few yards on the way. And since I live in Atlanta, I only have four or five huge fabric warehouses right down the street: like I need an online source! (I have to admit, I went out last week and could not find cotton knit, so, I really do thank you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful choices! I got an email from fabric.com and I did the exact same thing you did. All the fabric was $1.95/yd. I bought 6 pieces! The total was $25 and I had a $5 off coupon for it being my second order....so....I can make 6 more shirts for $20 total! But I degress....I am Donna and I'm a fabric shop aholic! Is there any help for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROFLOL! My favourite is definitely the first one, and no I don't have it, but it does seem strangely familar doesn't it? I can't think why......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost put that 3rd fabric in my basket tonight right before I saw your post! I can't wait to see how you put these fabrics to use!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, How could you resist ???
    The first one looks very similar to a fabric I have in my stash.(and I think Minieme has it too) Beautiful fabrics and ideal for your climate.
    Looking forward to seeing these made up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh shoot, you are such an enabler. I try so hard to stay away from online fabric stores and there you go posting your purchases and breaking down my defenses. These are great pieces of fabrics. Sigh, I think this time I'll have to be content with watching to see what you do with these purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shew! Boy am I glad that I dumped that email when it came in...didn't even click on the links! But you did good Debbie ~ really like the rayon/lycra knits!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I spent $200 at fabric.com yesterday. It must be going around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost got bit by that same email! Such nice knits for less than $5/yd! I had almost 15 yards in the cart (including the rayon/lycra you have in slot #2 above) and was at the point of putting in the credit card info when the swoon lifted and I closed the window fast.

    I still want it...but I've GOT to sew down the stash, and, unless I somehow land a job with INCOME (as opposed to a volunteer job), I've got to bow to the budget.

    But you'll make something pretty that I can enjoy vicariously ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these fabrics! I think you must have a bit of spring fever! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since I decided I want to become a sewer, a famous one at that, lol, I have been a fabric addict and most of it has been shopped for online. Your post made me feel better about myself, I'm not alone. =o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.