Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Jeans, Installment #4

Next up is finishing the waistband. I pinned the facing down and tried them on again to be sure I didn't need any more adjustments.

With the final fit complete, I pressed the inside facing hem allowance up and then stitched in the ditch from the right side to tack the facing in place. The topstitching will finish the bottom edge of the extended tab.

As a side note, when doing laundry today I noticed DS' RTW pants. Or, actually, the *inside* of DS' pants. This waistband facing was turned and sewn just like mine, except a chainstitch was used on his and the button "section" of the waistband was pieced with the outside fashion fabric. I'm wondering why about the button section — is it for form or for function? I also disagree with how they made the pockets right-side out, so that when you actually look inside the pockets you are seeing the wrong side of this print. I suppose it looks better on the rack this way, but still. BTW, you can click on any photo, including this one, for a bigger version.

With the facing stitched down, topstitching and buttonholes are next.

I also topstitched the center back seam for the "jeans look."

Next, buttons. This one was sewn on by machine. The one inside had to be sewn by hand. Ugh. It also doesn't match this button, but it doesn't need to.

Nearing completion, it's time for those back pockets. I temporarily pinned them where I thought they should be and then tried on the pants and looked at my butt in the mirror. I adjusted the pockets a little after seeing where they first landed and then did the mirror check again. With placement decided, I used Wonder Tape to stick them in place while sewing.

The pockets are now topstitched, bartacked, and a little "design" using one of my machine's deco stitches was sewn at the bottom of the right-cheek pocket.

Measuring for and then sewing the hems is the only step remaining. That step has actually already been done but I've had to run some errands today and haven't had a chance to take the final pics. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Debbie, the Vogue pattern I just sewed had the same turned back section on the waistband, similar to DS's RTW pants. It's an old tailoring technique usually found on men's pants. I believe it is for function.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.